.feed-links {display:none !important;}

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Dynojet QuickShift Kit for Indian TS111 models

To my delight Dynojet sent me their latest QuickShifter Kit for the Indian TS-111 Models to try out.  It is a quality speed shifter that does not require air to operate.  It consists of a pressure sensor and an injector kill module.  That is it!

I have always enjoyed the benefit of a quick shifter/speed shifter.  The one I had was on my Harley and that was over 10 years ago.  It was a Pingle Air Shifter that shifted using buttons on the handlebar.  It was a pain installing as well as setting up the timing to coordinate it correctly.

Times have changed!

Here is a photo of the parts that come with the Dynojet Quickshifter Kit,  this is it!


The parts list:
1- Shift Sensor
1- Shift Rod
1 - Shift Kill Module
1 - Ground Cable
1 - Heim Joint

The install instructions are well done with lot's of photos, very straight forward. Loosen and remove the gear shift rod, insert the Shift Sensor on new shift rod and install new Heim Joint on one end and the OEM Heim Joint on the other.  Reinstall the shift rod and adjust gear shift lever position for proper height.

Here is the new shift rod with Shift Sensor installed.


The  sensor wire loops around the sensor and routes back to the lower left cover where connects to the Shift Kill Module that will be installed.  It is hard to see the black cable, so I drew an oval around it.



The hardest part if the installation is installing the connectors that go in-line with the fuel injector connectors.  Getting to our fuel injectors is not easy, the fuel rail is in the way.   Dynojet recommends removing the two mounting bolts form the rear of the tank and then raising it.  Since I had to install wiring in the wire chase that is under the tank for the PV3, I just removed my tank.


The Fuel Injectors are here:

You raise (use a long flat screwdriver) the orange tab that is on the fuel injector connector and then pop the connector off the injector.  Then insert the Shift Kill Module injector connectors on the removed connectors and then on fuel injectors.  Take care as to which one goes to the front and which one goes to the rear.  Check the instructions for the correct wire color code.

I routed the injector harness under the rear cylinder and wire tied it to the main harness that is located between the frame and rear cylinder head.  I then routed the harness down and through the rear shock location into the fuse compartment.


The Black wire goes to ground, which  I connected where there is another black ground connection and bolt:




Install the shift kill module in the fuse compartment   Because the shift sensor can sense both push and pull (up and down gear shifts), we are only concerned with the "PULL" wire connection for upshifting sensing.  We connect that connector to the shift kill module and secure the module using wire ties.


There is an orange wire that disables the Shift Kill Module so the engine will not stall if you need to find a gear while idling.  My bike does not die when shifting from 1st to neutral, so right now I did not install this wire.  If I have  problems in the future, I will install this wire by connecting it to my rear brake lamp feed wire, which on my Roadmaster is the yellow wire with orange strip going into the large trunk wiring harness connector under the seat.

Once installed, there are two adjustments you can make.  On the back side of the Shift Kill Module is a rubber cover, pull that cover off exposing three holes with adjusters located in them.  We are only concerned with the outer two adjustments.

We can adjust the Shift Force, which represents the amount of force you use to shift the gear shifter.  This changes the "feel" of the shifter when quick shifting.  The interrupt is the amount of time the unit shuts off the injectors.  This has a direct affect on the shifting of the bike.  If you are experiencing a large clunk or not being able to shift at all, then increase the time.  Too much time and you will feel a power loss while shifting.

I left mine at the default, which is in the middle of its adjustment.  So far it is shifting well though I might lower the force needed to quick shift and increase the kill time a hair.  You do not want to make drastic changes to the adjusters, but rather move in one increment and then road test the bike.

Going out on the first road test brought back all my fond memories of speed shifting.  It is a joy to hit high RPM's, bump the gear shift lever, which results in shifting with no loss of power.  Just wham, wham and you are at 82 MPH in no time flat in 3rd gear!  It is a lot of fun.

This is one performance adder that should not be neglected.  The ability to speed shift can/will make the difference between pulling away or falling behind your buddy.  You simply cannot get equivalent shift quality from dropping RPM, pulling in clutch, and shifting.  I don't care how fast your are at this, the quick shifter will win every time.

An added benefit, I have arthritis setting up in my hands.  Just normal riding around, this quick shifter has helped, I now quick shifting for almost all my up-shifting, which....my hand thanks me for it!